Tuesday, January 06, 2009

The Epiphany

So it’s a new year. The old one, good riddance, has slipped away and we are heading into a brave new world. In just two weeks, Barrack Obama will be inaugurated president of the United States. I know for me this hasn’t quite sunk in yet.

 I also know for me that I am desperately trying to not have my expectations of the Obama presidency set so high that he cannot possibly perform. There will of course, be missteps, it is inevitable he is only human. But no matter what it will be an improvement.

 I continue to be saddened by what is happening in the home building industry. I watch as friends in the industry, the few that still have jobs, worry about tomorrow. And I find myself worrying about the same things. Life is never easy.

 I found myself wondering this morning as I waited for the bus, when my own life became so complex and why. I am a fairly simple guy or at least I like to think of myself as such. I don’t have huge expectations, but never the less I struggle.

 I wish that I had learned or even had interest in learning financial skills. Quite frankly money intimidates me which is odd for someone who is in fairly good command of himself. I glaze over very quickly when I have to deal with these things.

 And then all this anxiety gets turned back to my singleness. If I only had a partner, he could help me navigate money things. He could lend me strength to survive the storms at work. He could… wait, who is this guy, Superman?

 Yeah, so there is the Epiphany, appropriate today, since it is the end of Christmas and is Epiphany. Somehow I have to figure out a way in 2009 to navigate these issues myself. I have to be my own Superman. Sitting here today I am not sure how that is possible, but I know that if I am still and listen to my God who often speaks through my friends and family, I will find a way. 

1 comment:

Ashley said...

"He"'s not superman, and you might not be superman either, but you ARE a SUPER uncle!

:)