Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Last Chance for Preconstruction Pricing...

So last night I embarked on the next leg of my adventure to reinvent myself. After a 2+ year hiatus, I returned to the gym. I have never been able to catch the gym bug. I have tried several times over my 46 years to get there, but it never seems to happen.

My most recent foray into going was at a posh club in Pleasanton near my office. It was like going to a spa and I thought that would make it possible for me to be motivated. Instead I found that my time at the gym was the thing I could move to make room for yet another meeting. It was the most flexible thing on my schedule, so flexible that it got flexed right away.

So now, after much thought and having lost the first thirty pounds of the one-hundred pound goal, I have chosen Gold’s Gym in the SOMA area of San Francisco. This is no spa. I don’t mean that as a negative, it is simply a comparison. So last night I was there, sweating off my 650 calories with 40 minutes of cardio and I wasn’t bored out of my skull. That is a first. So maybe things are different.

All this has gotten me started thinking about myself and hence the title of this piece. One of my fears about embarking on this journey of reinventing myself physically is that if I was to meet someone after the transformation is more or less complete, what would happen if I was to back slide? Would I be dismissed like an unwanted or underperforming employee? Would my relationship pivot on my physical appearance?

So I have begun to think of those who are in my life now as preconstruction buyers; people who are willing to purchase with just an idea on paper. These people always get preferences because they are willing to commit before the physical is complete. You know who you are and you will all be cherished people in my life. 

1 comment:

choral_composer said...

sad person that I am I havent joined a gym.

I did 35 minutes of the video game Dance Dance Revolution last night to try and lose weight.

I've discovered that I suck at it. I felt like the slightly uncoordinated teenage girl at the slumber party who was a pity invite.