Sunday, September 24, 2006

The Whole Truth and Nothing But the Truth, so help me God!

I think the current administration and the Christian RADICAL Right has taken this to a scary place.

I come at this with a unique perspective. In my days as a straight man (I know what some of you are thinking because you have said to me, "How could you have ever passed for straight ya big fag?") I found conservative Christianity a safe place to find. Mostly because of it's black and white nature. It was easy. Cut and dried if you will. I had no choices, all the answers were in the book. So I have been in the belly of the beast... some would say deep in the belly.

Well, I am here to tell you, all the answers are in the book, and in studying it, I was forced to live in a TECHNICOLOR world that isn't all easy peezy with all the choices and decisions made for me. And what a BEAUTIFUL world I live in; all the color and all the beauty that is inclusiveness.

It scares me that dialogue is gone from the American experience. It scares me that the God I know is big enough to include differing points of view on many things, and the God that is in vogue is so small that there isn't room for women in the pulpit let alone gays, Buddhists, and Muslims or anyone outside of Christianity.

I heard a comment on Monday, from an evangelical preacher John Hagee who was asked by Terry Gross on Fresh Air about Jewish people and the rapture, to which Hagee responded that some Jews believe in Jesus so they were safe. I don't know how Terry didn't leap over the table and strangle this guy. That he runs around with the title Christian like I do, makes me ill. And this is a preacher tied closely with the current administration.

How can anyone have a dialogue when one side thinks they that THE ONE AND ONLY TRUTH?? What happened to our constitution? If the Democratic Party doesn't simply run on the theme "Could we please have our constitution back?" they are missing the boat.

No comments: