Monday, October 27, 2008

Faith vs Faith

So I continue to get irritated by the rhetoric of the Yes on Prop. 8 people. I heard what amounted to an 8 minute infomercial on my local PBS station this morning about how the Catholic Church supports proposition 8 because of the church's stand on homosexuality. What irritates me is I am a Christian as well, and my faith causes me to oppose proposition 8 because of it's ban on same sex marriage. So who is to say who's faith is right. 

Well I think the US Constitution settles the argument in my favor. This country was founded not as a Christian nation as so often we are told by the conservatives. The country was founded on the principal of religious FREEDOM. Freedom that means the government MUST stay out of religious matters. The law must be BLIND in that regard. So in order for the law to be blind, it cannot exclude any rights. Ahh a slippery slope, I know. But I think it does apply here. 

The California Supreme court did not mandate that the Catholic Church MUST marry same sex couples, it only mandated that the State must recognize those unions equally before the law. BUT proposition 8 WOULD mandate that MCC could NOT marry same sex couples, thus taking rights away and codifying discrimination into our state constitution for the first time in the state's history. 

Of course you can extend these arguments to absurd conclusions like men marrying dogs, but people let's be reasonable, we are talking about CONSENTING ADULTS, that MUST count for something. 

Join me in voting against discrimination by voting NO on PROPOSITION 8! 

No comments: