Monday, November 17, 2008

It's the end of the world as we know it?

I continue to be beaten by the news of family, friends and acquaintances who are loosing their jobs as the current economic tsunami crashes through the US. This coupled with the fact that I was actually at the movies over the weekend in the evening in my shorts (those of you who are familiar with San Francisco in November will recognize the significance of this) has convinced me that we may well be entering the end times. Oh why not? The evangelical church has been telling us this for at least 20 years now. 

I find it increasingly difficult to remain hopeful, as my own firm begins to make our second round of personnel cuts. I am worried, I don't know if I will have any staff or if I will even be here when we are through. We have weathered almost 2 years of a housing down turn, yes people those of you who have just begun to feel it are the late comers to the party, and I find myself increasingly dismal about the prospects. Juxtaposed against that, we are just completing our Strategic Planning efforts for 2012. It is truly an odd time. Layer upon all that the fact that I am getting on a plane on Thanksgiving Day to fly to Paris for four days, and I wonder what will be left when I return. 

It would seem that the holidays may not be so hap hap happy this year. And yet, the one true gift is what we celebrate at Christmas. A God who loved us so much that he would send a savior to walk amongst us. If it is the end times, I say get here quick and let's get it all over with, the anticipation is costing me sleep. 


No comments: