Monday, July 02, 2007

I knew it would happen...

So today our venerable administration, namely our president George W. Bush, or as we in San Francisco call him, Shrub, commuted the sentence of Lewis (Scooter) Libby, denouncing that the penalty of 2.5 years in prison was too harsh. As I remember it, when I was a Republican, we were the party of Lincoln, standing for law and order in our nation. I think Shrub may have missed that meeting.

To call a 2.5 year prison sentence for LYING to a prosecutor too harsh is UNCONSCIONABLE to me... not to mention shocking. I figured that Shrub would pardon him on the way out of office in 1.5 years, but to commute his sentence entirely... wow. How I wish Kenneth was home to chew over this one with... but alas he is gadding about Europe... blissfully unaware of the HORROR here in the USA.

Yes, I really think it is horror. I cannot begin to think how I teach my daughter to respect the law and the rulings of the judicial system when our president, yes he is mine too unfortunately, does not. All this on the heels of two rulings of the Supreme Court that basically say, "Hey stop discriminating, we don't need those pesky laws to follow, just be good boys and girls in the playground." SHEESH!

Oh, by the way... I'm back.

No comments: