Thursday, February 12, 2009

Happy Valentine's a.k.a. Singles Awareness Day!

So there are two holidays each year that remind me that I am alone much more than all the rest combined. I suppose that is because somehow they are the two holidays that aren’t truly family oriented; that, and the fact that they occur approximately 6 weeks apart.

At church last Sunday, someone referred to Valentine’s day as “Singles Awareness Day” and I think I am going to personally adopt that name as well. Never at any other time of the year, except New Year’s Eve, am I more aware of the fact that I am not dating or loving that special man, than on Singles Awareness Day. I think it is really designed that way.

Those of us who, through no direct doing of our own, are without a special someone; are reminded in drugstores, radio commercials and even TV that February 14th is a day to be in love. And this year, I even get to sing in a Chorus concert called Seasons of Love the 13th, 14th, and 15th, just in case I wasn’t acutely aware that I am not in love at the moment.

I know, I know, I am sounding bitter, and I suppose I am. I guess I am just wishing that somewhere along the line, the ones who are truly lucky enough to have someone to celebrate Singles Awareness Day with; would remember that some of us are not as lucky. Some of us will be asking ourselves to be our Valentine.

That’s what I’m doing.

Don will you be my Valentine?

Oh great… just like a man… no answer. 

No comments: